- 500 gm plums
- 3 cups sugar( approx)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Wash and dry the plums. Cut and remove the stones. There is no need to peel the fruit.
- Make a purée and strain the juice through a sieve.
- Now take the weight of this purée. Take the same weight of sugar and water to puree.
Tip: The easy way of weighing is to take 2 bowls of the same size. Pour the purée in 1 and in the other an equal quantity of sugar. Place the sugar in a pan. Then fill the bowl with the same quantity of water and add this to the pan of sugar.
- Allow the water and sugar mixture to boil well.
- Add the juice of one lemon. Lemon juice will enhance the taste of the squash and also the sugar will not crystallise.
- Take the mixture off the heat and let it cool.
- When the sugar syrup cools down, add the plum purée.
- This is a concentrate and is diluted with water for use. Use 40 ml of this for a glass of squash ( or dilute as per personal taste).
- Store in sterilised bottles in the refrigerator. If refrigerated properly, the squash can last up to 1 month. This can also be stored in the freezer.