When we talk of beauty, there is nothing to beat a flawless skin. Children are never too young to be educated on how to take care of their skin.
Skin should be treated as a precious asset and cared for in that way. Being healthy and a diet of healthy food and plenty of water can help your skin feel and look great. Proper cleaning of the skin and hair is important as well because hair frames the face and oily hair can clog the pores. The face should be washed at least twice a day with a mild, non-abrasive cleanser or soap and more often if you have an oily skin.
Do not get hung up on a perfect skin. The ageing process is inevitable and different for every individual. It depends on genetics, the type of skin and the routine you have been following since your early years. Sagging of the skin and wrinkles are caused by loss of elasticity of the skin and can even start at the age of 20.
Treatment for common ailments
- For acne and pigmentation 1 glass of cucumber juice first thing in the morning can be a great help.
- Constipation can lead to a dull skin and even pimples. 1 glass of lime juice in warm water in the morning will keep your stomach light and clear. A natural and fibre rich diet is a lasting remedy for constipation.
Herbal remedies, masks and scrubs for problem skins
- Wrinkles: A wash of neat gin will soften wrinkles. Apricot oil rubbed into the most sensitive spots every night will also help.
- Hard skin patches: These can be softened with pineapple juice or mashed papaya. Both contain enzymes which help in tenderising and softening the skin.
- Acne: A mask made from yoghurt or tomato paste will help in curing acne.
- Spots: Apply a wheat germ and honey scrub made by mixing together 1 tsp wheat germ, 2 tsp clear honey and 1 tsp fresh lime juice. Apply this scrub on the face and neck and leave on for 5 minutes. Wash off with warm water and then splash cold water on your face. You should do this treatment twice a week.
- Blackheads: Use a tomato paste mask made from 4 tomatoes, finely ground oatmeal and 1 tsp honey. Puree and sieve the tomatoes. Mix everything to form a smooth paste. Rub it on the face and leave it for 10 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- Spotty skin: Make a thick paste of extracted potato juice and Fuller’s earth (Multani mitti). It is a very healing mask for spotty skin.
- Dry skin: Make a paste of mashed plums plus a few drops of almond oil or 2 tsp of almond powder and apply. Rinse off after 7-10 minutes. Another option is to use a paste of 2 tsp besan and 2 tsp almond powder mixed with a little milk. Apply on your face and leave until it dries, then wash.
- Oily skin: Apply a covering of mashed strawberries for 5-10 minutes. Rinse. Another good scrub is ground almond or badam khali plus sandalwood powder plus besan in equal quantities mixed in dahi or milk. This makes a very good scrub.
- General skin problems: Dab your face with morning dew which is good for all skin problems. Tea made from methi seeds will purify the blood and make you look, feel and smell good. A good all purpose scrub can be made with dried orange peel plus milk powder plus coarsely ground gram (besan) in equal quantities. This can be stored.