- One should always prepare a general soil mix in advance. The recipe is outlined in the article ‘My Bonsai Soil’.
- Water the soil mix and leave it covered for at least 15 days before use. This mix can be used from February onwards for potting, repotting and for adding to the soil of potted trees. If needed add some pre-washed sand or grit from badarpur to make the soil more porous.
2. DESIGN YOUR TREES
- In winter time trees are not growing and it is therefore an ideal time to design them by wiring or making jins and Since a lot of trees are leafless at this time their branches are more visible and wiring is easier.
3. RIGHT TIME FOR WORKING ON EVERGREENS
- Devote this time to your Junipers, Pines and other evergreens.
- One is free to do feeding, pruning, potting or repotting of evergreens at this time.
4. FERTILISING IN WINTERS
Slow feeding fertilizer pellets are an excellent option.
- To make these pellets mix 7 parts oil cake ( mustard, neem or any other) and 2 parts wood ash, add a little water and keep in the open for 3-4 days. After this time add 3 parts bone meal and mix thoroughly. Add water and knead the mixture. Make small balls and allow them to dry thoroughly in the sun. These can be stored for future. For use, place a few dry pellets on each Bonsai. The bonsai will receive nutrition slowly from these pellets when it is watered.