Ever looked at the Chinese oranges growing in your garden and wondered what to do with them (besides of course making marmalade)? Well, think no more. Here are some amazingly easy and tasty things you can make out of your Chinese oranges.
- Chinese Orange Squash
- 1 kg Chinese Oranges
- Sugar to measure
- 2 tbsp lemon juice(optional)
- Wash the Chinese oranges well and pat them dry.
- Cut the oranges horizontally.
- Deseed them.
- Put the oranges into a blending jar and blend well.
- Take the same quantity of water and sugar as the pulp and boil.
- Cool the sugar syrup and add the pulp.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Store in clean bottles in a refrigerator.
- Mandarin Almond Salad
- 1 head romaine lettuce – rinsed, dried and chopped
- 2 cups mandarin oranges, deseeded and steamed till tender
- 3 apples, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine lettuce, oranges and apples.
- Heat 2 tablespoons sugar with the almonds in saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir while sugar starts to melt and coat almonds. Stir constantly until almonds are light brown. Turn onto a plate, and cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine apple cider vinegar, olive oil, one tablespoon sugar, red pepper flakes and black pepper in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake vigorously until sugar is dissolved.
- Before serving, toss lettuce, oranges and apples with salad dressing until coated.
- Transfer to a decorative serving bowl, and sprinkle with sugared almonds.
- Orange Pineapple Trifle
- 1 can/ tin pineapple pieces
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups mandarin oranges, deseeded and cut horizontally. (Steam the mandarin oranges for five minutes till soft)
- 1 small vanilla cake cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups whipped cream( chilled)
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Drain pineapple, reserving 2/3 cup juice; set pineapple aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk, pineapple juice and cream.
- Fold in the oranges and pineapple pieces.
- Place a third of the cake cubes in a flat trifle/glass bowl; top with a third of the whipped cream mixture. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Combine remaining whipped topping and vanilla extract; spread over the top.
- Sprinkle with coconut.